Netflix Canada released its listings for January 2019 and, for the first month of the new year, is giving us a lot original series, films, and documentaries — perhaps to justify the company’s recent price increase.
There are some big Hollywood films coming in January, including A Quiet Place (Jan. 2), Solo: A Star Wars Story (Jan. 9), Book Club (Jan. 21), Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and the Wasp (Jan. 28), and Disney-Pixar’s The Incredibles 2 (Jan. 30).
VIDEO: A Quiet Place Trailer
New older movies coming to the streaming platform include Adrift, Black Hawk Down, Blood Diamond, My Best Friend’s Wedding, The Cable Guy (all on Jan. 1), the Bring It On franchise (Jan. 2), and the rest of the Jason Bourne franchise (Jan. 2).
Returning series include season two of Marvel’s The Punisher (no date specified), season three of A Series of Unfortunate Events (Jan. 1), season five of Grace and Frankie (Jan. 18), part two of season four of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Jan. 25), and season five of Z Nation (Jan. 27).
New Netflix original series include COMEDIANS of the world (Jan. 1), Tidying Up with Marie Kondo (Jan. 1), When Heroes Fly (Jan. 10), Sex Education (Jan. 11), Titans (Jan. 11), Justice (Jan. 21), Kingdom (Jan. 25), Medici: The Magnificent (Jan. 25), and Black Earth Rising (Jan. 25).
New Netflix original films and documentaries include And Breathe Normally (Jan. 4), Lionheart (Jan. 4), Solo (Jan. 11), The Last Laugh (Jan. 11), Revenger (Jan. 15), Close (Jan. 18), GIRL (Jan. 18), IO (Jan. 18), Soni (Jan. 18), and Animas (Jan. 25).
See the listing below for a description of all the new offerings.
VIDEO: New to Netflix Canada in January
Here’s the complete list of everything coming to Netflix Canada in January, along with what’s leaving.
Coming sometime in January
- Marvel’s The Punisher: Season 2 (Netflix Original) – Netflix has not provided a specific release date or description for season two of the dark crime-revenge drama.
Tuesday, January 1st
- A Series of Unfortunate Events: Season 3 (Netflix Original) – In the series’ third and final act, the Baudelaires will stop at nothing to solve the mysteries of the VFD and end Count Olaf’s relentless pursuit.
- Across the Universe
- Bad Boys
- Black Hawk Down
- Blood Diamond
- COMEDIANS of the world (Netflix Original) – This global, first-of-its-kind, series will showcase 47 comedians from 13 regions in 8 languages in an unprecedented stand-up comedy experience. The groundbreaking series will feature a range of stand-up specials from comedians diverse in style, gender and ethnicity. Get ready to start the new year off with a laugh!
- Daddy Day Care
- Grown Ups 2
- Mona Lisa Smile
- My Best Friend’s Wedding
- Pinky Malinky (Netflix Original) – Pinky Malinky sees the bright side of everything, including being born a hot dog. With his BFFs in tow, this little wiener takes a bite out of life.
- Tears of the Sun
- The Cable Guy
- The Karate Kid Part II
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
- Tidying Up with Marie Kondo (Netflix Original) – In a series of inspiring home makeovers, world-renowned tidying expert Marie Kondo helps clients clear out the clutter — and choose joy.
- XXX: State of the Union
Wednesday, January 2nd
- A Quiet Place
- Bring It On
- Bring It On Again
- Bring It On: All or Nothing
- Bring It On: Fight to the Finish
- Bring It On: In It to Win It
- Red Dragon
- The Bourne Identity
- The Bourne Legacy
- The Bourne Supremacy
- The Bourne Ultimatum
Friday, January 4th
- And Breathe Normally (Netflix Film) – An Icelandic single mom struggling with poverty and a Guinea-Bissauan asylum seeker facing deportation find their lives intertwined in unexpected ways.
- Lionheart (Netflix Film) – When her father falls ill, Adaeze steps up to run the family business — alongside her uncle — and prove herself in a male-dominated world.
Wednesday, January 9th
- GODZILLA The Planet Eater (Netflix Original) – With the earth alliance weakened, Haruo weighs siding with the Exif, whose death cult is summoning a monster that can destroy the world.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
Thursday, January 10th
- When Heroes Fly (Netflix Original) – Years after a bitter falling out, four Israeli military veterans reunite and travel to Colombia in search of a loved one they’d presumed to be dead.
Friday, January 11th
- Friends from College: Season 2 (Netflix Original) – Mistakes were made. Feelings were hurt. Life goes on. Now, with a wedding on the horizon, the gang tries to put the past behind them.
- ReMastered: Massacre at the Stadium (Netflix Original) – For years, the murder of Chilean protest singer Victor Jara was blamed on an official in Pinochet’s army. Now in exile, he tries to exonerate himself.
- Sex Education (Netflix Original) – Meet Otis Milburn – an inexperienced, socially awkward high school student who lives with his mother, a sex therapist. Surrounded by manuals, videos and tediously open conversations about sex, Otis is a reluctant expert on the subject. When his home life is revealed at school, Otis realizes that he can use his specialist knowledge to gain status. He teams up with Maeve, a whip-smart bad-girl, and together they set up an underground sex therapy clinic to deal with their fellow students’ weird and wonderful problems. Through his analysis of teenage sexuality, Otis realises he may need some therapy of his own.
- Solo (Netflix Film) – In a remote area of the Canary Islands, young surfer Alvaro Vizcaino accidentally falls from a cliff. Seriously injured, he must fight to survive.
- The Last Laugh (Netflix Film) – Retired talent manager Al reconnects with former client Buddy, a comedian who gave up performing decades ago, and urges him to go back out on the road.
- Titans (Netflix Original) – Led by Batman’s former protégé Robin, a group of teen heroes forms to fight crime while wrestling with their inner demons.
Tuesday, January 15th
- Revenger (Netflix Film) – A former detective hell-bent on revenge infiltrates a remote island serving as a prison for dangerous death row criminals in search of a brutal fiend.
- Sebastian Maniscalco: Stay Hungry (Netflix Original) – Sebastian Maniscalco takes on life’s many annoyances with his singularly expressive approach in a live special based on his memoir of the same name.
- The Reaping
Friday, January 18th
- Carmen Sandiego (Netflix Original) – Carmen Sandiego returns in this series that follows her new international capers as well as past escapades that led to her becoming a super thief.
- Close (Netflix Film) – To protect an heiress from highly trained kidnappers, a lone security expert must unravel a sinister plot — while striving to stay alive.
- FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened (Netflix Original) – The Fyre Festival was billed as a luxury music experience full of social media influencers on a posh island, but the reality was far from the promises.
- GIRL (Netflix Film) – In this award-winning drama inspired by a true story, 15-year-old Lara trains to become a ballerina as she transitions from her assigned gender.
- Grace and Frankie: Season 5 (Netflix Original) – In the return of this Emmy winning comedy, two friends launch a scheme to get their old lives back.
- IO (Netflix Film) – One of the last survivors on Earth, a teen races to cure her poisoned planet before the final shuttle to a distant space colony leaves her stranded.
- Soni (Netflix Film) – While fighting crimes against women in Delhi, a short-fused policewoman and her level-headed female boss grapple with gender issues in their own lives.
- Trigger Warning with Killer Mike (Netflix Original) – In this subversive comedy documentary series, rapper and activist Killer Mike and a team of funny correspondents explore socially relevant topics.
- Trolls: The Beat Goes On!: Season 5 (Netflix Original) – This season, the trolls get lost in wormholes, journey to the Fountain of Glitter, go for a ride in a submarine, play in the snow and more.
Monday, January 21st
- Book Club
- Justice (Netflix Original) – Instead of joining her father’s law firm as her family expects, Farah strikes out on her own as a defense attorney after returning home to Abu Dhabi.
Thursday, January 24th
- Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes (Netflix Original) – Get a unique look inside the mind of an infamous serial killer with this cinematic self-portrait crafted from statements made by Ted Bundy.
Friday, January 25th
- Animas (Netflix Film) – When her best friend starts acting odd after a strange accident, a young woman descends into a living hell where nightmare and reality are blurred.
- Black Earth Rising (Netflix Original) – A contemporary thriller that follows the difficult journey of a woman, a Rwandan orphaned by the genocide, raised in London by an adopted mother, trying to discover the truth of her past. The series examines the West’s relationship with Africa, set in a world of prosecution of war crimes.
- Club de Cuervos: Season 4 (Netflix Original) – Chava and Isabel come to terms with their futures and the future of the Cuervos in an all-new season of surprises.
- Kingdom (Netflix Original) – In a kingdom defeated by corruption and famine, a mysterious rumour of the king’s death spreads as does a strange plague that renders the infected immune to death and hungry for flesh. The crown prince, fallen victim to a conspiracy, sets out on a journey to unveil the evil behind it all and save his people.
- Medici: The Magnificent (Netflix Original) – He already sacrificed his dreams of being an artist and marrying his true love. Will building and protecting the Medici legacy cost him his soul too?
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Season 4 Part 2 (Netflix Original) – As the series comes to a hilarious and moving close, Kimmy has to choose between helping her friends, Titus (Tituss Burgess), Jacqueline (Jane Krakowski) and Lillian (Carol Kane), and helping someone she’s never put first before: herself. This final season includes a double-sized “Sliding Doors” episode exploring how the main characters’ lives might have been different if Kimmy had never been kidnapped.
Sunday, January 27th
- Z Nation: Season 5
Tuesday, January 29th
- Gabriel “Fluffy” Iglesias: One Show Fits All (Netflix Original) – In a new comedy special for 2019, Gabriel “Fluffy” Iglesias discusses his teenage son, encounters with Snoop Dogg and an overzealous fan, and more.
- Marvel Studios’ Ant-Man and the Wasp
Wednesday, January 30th
- Disney-Pixar’s The Incredibles 2
Thursday, January 31st
- Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
Leaving Netflix Canada in January
Tuesday, January 1st
- Straight Outta Compton
- The Book of Life
Tuesday, January 15th
- Suicide Squad
Friday, January 18th
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Friday, January 25th
- Captain America: The First Avenger
Monday, January 28th
All titles and dates are subject to change.