Journalist – Summer Intern – Youth
Under the Canada Summer Jobs Program, kawarthaNOW.com is seeking a summer intern (15 to 30 years of age) with journalism and/or communications experience to work with us for 8 weeks starting July 4, 2022. This position will involve 30 hours per week at $20/hour.
Although all eligible candidates with journalism experience will be considered, this is an excellent opportunity for a journalism student to expand their portfolio and work experience.
Working directly with our managing editor and publisher, you will work as assigned to complete and file stories on deadline. You will write editorial stories for our website as assigned by the managing editor or publisher and take photographs as required. Assignments may include breaking news, community news, business, arts, music, theatre, lifestyle, recreation, family, fashion, food, and more.
A preferred key skill for this position is branded editorial and story-telling skills. Demonstrated ability to interview and convert to compelling editorial is required.
- Journalism and/or experience in a communications-related field.
- Excellent writing and copy-editing skills with attention to detail.
- Skills and experience conducting interviews.
- Ability to work independently, take direction for assignments, and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with word processing and photo/video editing software and cloud-based file sharing services.
- Your own work location and equipment, including computer/laptop, camera, high-speed internet connection, audio recording equipment for interviews, and smartphone.
- Your own vehicle or access to a vehicle (local travel may be required).
- Demonstrated experience writing branded editorial is preferred.
- Demonstrated photography skills are required. Videography skills are an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to research and prepare for interviews is essential.
- Scheduling is flexible on a week to week basis and may potentially require some weekend assignments.
This position is being partly funded by the federal Canada Summer Jobs program. To be eligible to apply for this position, you must be 15 to 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment, a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person upon whom refugee protection has been conferred and who is legally entitled to work in Ontario.
Please submit your resume along with several examples of your writing and if available, examples of your photography, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In your covering letter, please describe how your education and skills would fit with the style and quality of content published on kawarthaNOW.com.
If you are interested and eligible, please apply by 5 p.m. on June 20, 2022.
Please note we will only contact qualified applicants for interviews. We may consider qualified applicants for future job opportunities.