The Canadian Canoe Museum in Peterborough is reopening its galleries to the public on Saturday, July 25th — although all in-person events, programs, and workshops remain cancelled for the rest of the summer.
After the Ontario government allowed museums to reopen as part of Stage 2 in June, the museum has been at work implementing new safety protocols to allow for a COVID-safe reopening.
“When visitors walk through our doors, they will still be greeted by our stunning array of canoes and kayaks, the rushing waterfall, and sounds of nature, just as they have always been,” says the museum’s executive director Carolyn Hyslop in a media release. “Although they will notice the new protocols we have put in place to help keep our community safe.”
The new protocols include:
- Requiring all visitors, volunteers, and staff to wear a face mask or covering in the museum’s galleries and store.
- Requiring hand sanitization upon entrance to the museum and promoting sanitization with newly installed hand sanitization stations.
- Limiting visitor capacity and staggering entrances to the galleries to promote physical distancing.
- Implementing a defined route through the museum’s galleries with reminders to keep physical distance from other visitors.
- Encouraging contactless forms of payment at the admissions desk and store (cash will not be accepted).
- Implementing an enhanced and increased cleaning schedule.
Complete details on the museum’s new safety protocols and what to expect during a visit are available at canoemuseum.ca/COVID.
Changes have also been made to the museum’s hours of operation. The museum will now only be open on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. until further notice.
VIDEO: Welcome Back to The Canadian Canoe Museum (COVID-19 Protocols)
“After months of social isolation, we know people are craving new experiences and opportunities to safely engage and connect,” Hyslop says. “We have reimagined how we offer these experiences and are looking forward to sharing the history and stories of Canada by canoe with visitors once again.”
For those not comfortable with returning to public places at this time, the museum continues to offer virtual content at canoemuseum.ca/ccm-from-home/.
The museum is located at 910 Monaghan Road in Peterborough. Admission is $12 for adults, $9.50 for students and seniors, and $30 for families. There is no admission cost for museum members and children under five.