Jon Perrin, who became a mental health advocate after developing posttraumatic stress disorder in his role as a Kawartha Lakes OPP officer, has been named Lindsay’s citizen of the year.
The award was presented to Perrin at the Lindsay and District Chamber of Commerce’s 2021 Awards of Excellence celebration on Friday night (November 12) at Celebrations in Lindsay, honouring local businesses and organizations.
Jon Perrin and his wife Jennifer, a registered nurse and manager with over 20 years experience, founded the Twisted Trauma Foundation.
Twisted Trauma Foundation is a non-profit organization that raises awareness and money for mental health programs and initiatives in local communities, with Jon being the face of the organization.
The organization held its first annual charity hockey this past Saturday, raising just over $2,500 for the family of Mike Broderick, an officer with the Kawartha Lakes Police Service who died suddenly on November 5.
Perrin received two standing ovations during the Friday night celebration, one as he made his way to the stage and the second just before accepting the award.
He spoke to the support of his wife Jennifer and credited the award to her as well.
Diane Steven, manager at the Kawartha Lakes Small Business & Entrepreneurship Centre (KLSBEC), received the business leader of the year award at Friday night’s event, recognizing her 20-year role heading the municipally run organization that helps new and existing businesses achieve success. Almost half of the recipients at the Awards of Excellence celebration have been KLSBEC clients.
The City of Kawartha Lakes Family Health Team, headed by executive director Aasif Khakoo, received the diversity and inclusion award — the Lindsay Chamber’s newest Award of Excellence, intended to educate the community about the benefits of welcoming diversity in the region.
The other recipients of the Lindsay Chamber’s 2021 Awards of Excellence are:
- Mariposa Woolen Mill (Agriculture Excellence)
- Kawartha Art Gallery (Arts & Culture Excellence)
- Fresh FueLL (Customer Service Excellence)
- Pinchin Ltd. (Employer of the Year)
- Kawartha Care Wellness (Health & Wellness)
- NanoNation Canada (Innovation Excellence)
- Matty G Digital Marketing (Marketing Excellence)
- Lindsay Advocate (Media Excellence)
- Browning Reptiles (New Business of the Year)
- Kawartha Lakes Food Source (Not for Profit Excellence)
- Days Inn Lindsay (Tourism Excellence)
- BGC Kawartha Lakes Youth Warehouse (Youth Excellence)