Awards Gala Friday Night Sold Out
Tickets for the 18th Annual Awards of Excellence Gala are sold out! To be added to a waiting list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can’t join the Chamber on Friday evening? Follow along on social media. The Chamber will be live tweeting the event and award presentations. Follow @kawarthachamber on Twitter and join in with the hashtag #KawarthaExcellence.
RBC Closure in Apsley – How Will it Impact You?
North Kawartha Business Survey
As you are aware, RBC has announced the intention to close their branch in Apsley in April 2018. The Kawartha Chamber of Commerce & Tourism is looking to gather data regarding the impact this would have on area businesses. Please take a few minutes to complete this survey. The Chamber hopes to have as many people as possible complete the survey before the Public Meeting on November 2nd (see below).
Over 160 responses have been received so far. The Chamber thanks you for taking the time to share how this will impact you and your business.
Community Information Session – November 2nd
A community information session is taking place at the North Kawartha Community Centre, 340 McFadden Road in Apsley, on Thursday, November 2nd from 7 to 8:30 p.m. This is an opportunity to learn more about the decision to merge the branches and discuss potential alternative banking arrangements and services.
Outside Bids Close November 2nd
Can’t make it to the Gala this year? You can still participate in the auction by submitting your bids. Once again this year, local businesses have generously donated many fabulous items to auction off.
New Items Up for Bid
- ‘Stony Lake Daybreak’ Framed Photograph by Peter Lamont. Value: $950. Donated by Gallery on the Lake. Peter Lamont has lived in northern New Mexico for the past 17 years. Known for its perfect light and extreme topography, the area re-ignited his passion for photography. Returning home to the Kawarthas brought new inspiration, his images capture life on Stony Lake where he now resides during the summer months.
- Men’s Browning Hunting Suits (Non-Exchangeable), Twin Layered Parka (Size Lrg) & Bib Pants (Size 36/46 with Adjustable Suspenders), Advanced Scent Control, Wind-Water Resistant, Primaloft 80g insulation. Value: $750. Donated by W.C. Cuppy Enterprise.
- Women’s Browning Hunting Suits (Non-Exchangeable), Size Medium, 2 Layer Parka & Bib Pants with Adjustable Suspenders, Advanced Scent Control, Wind-Water resistant, Primaloft 80g Insulation. Value: $750, Donated by W.C. Cuppy Enterprise.
- 4×6 Carpet, Sisal with Black Binding. Value: $456. Donated by Dodge Custom Carpets
- 4×6 Carpet, wool with Brown Binding. Value: $497. Donated by Dodge Custom Carpets
Also Up for Bid
- Fishing Package with Overnight Stay at Beachwood Resort
- Life Sized Wooden Dog Carving
- Camp Kawartha Adventure Challenge
- Shimano Graphite Spinning Fishing Rod
- Sir Sam’s Ski Resort Lift Tickets
- Cirque Musica Holiday presents Believe Tickets
- Edwin Matthews Artist Proof
- North Ridge Ranch Dog Sledding
- kawarthaNOW.com Customized Advertising
- Six Month Membership for The Athletics Centre at Trent
Bids close on November 2nd. Click here for details.
Public Hearings at Queen’s Park on Bill 148
Submit Written Comments by November 3rd at 5 p.m.
Public Hearings for the second reading of Bill 148, Fair Workplaces, Better Jobs Act, 2017 are taking place at Queen’s Park on Thursday, November 2nd from 9 to 10:15 a.m. and 2:30 to 6 p.m. Public Hearings also took place on October 30th and 31st.
The deadline to be considered for oral presentation has passed. However, anyone who wishes to submit written comments on the Bill may send submissions to the Clerk of the Committee by Friday, November 3rd at 5 p.m.
Send written comments to: Eric Rennie, Clerk, Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs, Tel: 416-325-3506, Fax: 416-325-3505, email@example.com, TTY: (416) 325-3538.
If you have already/intend to submit written comments, or will be making a presentation, it would be appreciated if you would notify the Chamber at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Know Your Power Cobourg – November 15th
Navigating energy-efficiency programs for business
Chamber members are invited to a breakfast event on Wednesday, November 15th, to learn about energy cost-saving programs and incentives available to Ontario businesses. The event is being held at the Best Western Plus Cobourg Inn & Convention Centre, 930 Burnham St., Cobourg. Registration and breakfast is at 9 a.m., and the program runs from 9:30 to 11 a.m. There is no charge to attend. Register here.
Lakefield Pantry Celebrating 37th Anniversary With 10% Off Store Wide
Lakefield Pantry is very pleased to be celebrating its 37th anniversary this week by offering everyone 10% off store wide! Jennie has baked up some delicious treats and is offering free samplings all week long, together with the recipes for anyone who wants to give them a try a home. There will be free daily draws and daily flash sales for extra savings. Watch their Facebook page to take advantage of these outstanding deals.
Village Pet Food Customer Appreciation Sale – November 3rd to 5th
This Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Village Pet Food & Supply is celebrating five years! To show their appreciation, they are having sales and giveaways all weekend long.
On Saturday, there will be a BBQ in support of Lakefield Minor Hockey. They are also sponsoring a free skate from noon to 1 p.m. at the Lakefield Arena. Sunday there will be free nail clippings from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
John Lennard Exhibit at Gallery on the Lake – Opens November 4th
The Gallery on the Lake is pleased to present “Northern Vistas,” a collection of new paintings by John Lennard, on featured display from November 4th to December 31st.
Bold, colourful, powerful and sometimes muted, his canvasses capture the Canadian landscape in all its stunning beauty. The exhibit opens on November 4th and an opening reception where you can meet the artist will be held the following Saturday (November 11) from 1 to 4 p.m.
Gallery on the Lake is located on Highway 36, 3 kilometres east of Buckhorn. For more information, please call 705-657-1108, toll free at 1-888-242-7475, or visit www.galleryonthelake.com.
Abuse Prevention of Older Adults Workshop – November 10th
The Abuse Prevention of Older Adults Network, in partnership with Community Care, invites you to attend a free workshop in Lakefield. You will learn to recognize the warning signs of the abuse of older adults and how to respond safely, and supportively to help seniors at risk or experiencing abuse.
The workshop takes place at the Lakefield Marshland Centre on Friday, November 10th from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. (doors open at 9 a.m.). Register by contacting Maggie Doherty-Gilbert at 705-742-7067 ext. 250 or at email@example.com.
Chocolate Rabbit at Luxury Chocolate Show in Toronto – November 4th and 5th
Lakefield’s The Chocolate Rabbit will be at the Luxury Chocolate Show in Toronto on Saturday, November 4th and Sunday, November 5th. They will be in Booth 105 at the show, which takes place inside the Toronto Reference Library.
Visit www.torontochocolateshow.com for more information.
Be sure to check out The Chocolate Rabbit at their new online shop.
- Performing Arts Lakefield – Penderecki String Quartet – November 3rd
- Buckhorn Autumn Dinner Theatre – November 3rd-5th and November 10th-12th
- Remembrance Day Ceremonies in Bridgenorth and Buckhorn – November 8th
- Remembrance Day Ceremonies in Apsley, Curve Lake, and Lakefield – November 11th
For more information about the businesses and events listed above, please visit the Kawartha Chamber of Commerce & Tourism website at kawarthachamber.ca.
All photos supplied by Kawartha Chamber of Commerce except where noted.