Angela Jones of Lakeshore Designs and Ian Scates of Central Smith Creamery were among those honoured on Wednesday night (October 21) during the 17th annual Peterborough Business Excellence Awards ceremony. Jones was named as Businesswoman of the Year (Entrepreneur) and Scates was named Business Citizen of the Year.
Due to the pandemic, the Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce presented the awards ceremony online for the first time. More than 50 businesses and individuals were recognized in more than 20 categories.
The award recipients were announced live during the online ceremony emceed by Megan Murphy. To accommodate the change from an in-person ceremony, all award finalists were asked to record an acceptance video in advance of the ceremony, and the previously recorded video for each award recipient was played when the recipient was revealed.
VIDEO: 2020 Peterborough Business Excellence Awards ceremony
The Businesswoman of the Year award, normally presented in a separate event by the Women’s Business Network of Peterborough (WBN), was included in the Peterborough Business Excellence Awards ceremony this year. However, finalists for the award were chosen by a panel of judges selected by WBN that was independent of the Peterborough Business Excellence Awards panel of judges.
The Businesswoman of the Year award was split into two categories this year, to recognize both female entrepreneurs and women working in organizations, with Angela Jones of Lakeshore Designs receiving the entrepreneur award and Sandra Dueck of the Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce receiving the organization award.
Ian Scates, president and chief executive owner of Central Smith Creamery, was selected as the 2020 Business Citizen of the Year.
VIDEO: Ian Scates – 2020 Business Citizen of the Year
In addition to his leadership at transforming his family-owned business into a national distributor of ice cream and frozen dessert products and support of local suppliers, Scates was also recognized for his and his company’s support of the community, with a focus on Scates’ passion for the Peterborough Regional Health Centre Foundation.
Previously announced but recognized during the online ceremony were the Peterborough County Federation of Agriculture’s Farm Family of the Year, as well as the Chamber’s 4-Under-40 Profiles, which recognize business and community leadership in individuals under the age of 40. The 4-Under-40 Profiles have been designated in the memory of former Chamber board chair Kathy Windrem, for whom a tribute was featured at the ceremony.
Here’s the complete list of finalists (listed alphabetically) and recipients:
Businesswoman of the Year
- Rhonda Barnet (AVIT Manufacturing)
- Angela Jones (Lakeshore Designs) – Recipient
- Shelby Leonard-Watt (S.O.S)
- Sandra Dueck (Greater Peterborough Chamber of Commerce) – Recipient
- Katie Haddlesey (Curve Lake First Nation)
- Rosalea Terry (Innovation Cluster)
Business Citizen of the Year
- Ian Scates (Central Smith)
- Diatom Consulting and Training Ltd.
- Floortrends – Recipient
- La Mesita Restaurante & Catering
- Cardinal Plumbing & Electric
- Keene Truck Inc.- Recipient
- Percheron Plastic Inc.
- Multicultural Canada Day: New Canadians Centre Peterborough
- Peterborough Air Show: The Loomex Group / The City of Peterborough – Recipient
- Peterborough Petes Hockey Club<
- Needles in the Hay – Recipient
Marketing & Promotion
- The Loomex Group / The City of Peterborough – Recipient
- Movingmedia Digital
- Watson & Lou
- Gauvreau & Associates Chartered Professional Accountants – Recipient
- Glen Isle Agri-Services
- Second Story Wedding Shop
- Kitchen Farmacy
- Peterborough Housing – Recipient
- Silver Bean Cafe
Innovation / Research & Development
- Canuck Play
- Lab Improvements
- Persian Empire Distillery / CDC Inc – Recipient
Commercial Development or Renovation
- Fusion Bowl
- Hospice Peterborough – Recipient
- Millbrook Mercantile
- Cambium Inc. – Recipient
- Lett Architects Inc.
- Savino Human Resources Partners (SHRP)
- Camp Kawartha
- The Gardener
- Three Sisters Natural Landscapes – Recipient
Health & Wellness
- Dohjo Muay Thai and Fitness
- Pilates on Demand – Recipient
- VON Peterborough Victoria Haliburton
- Junior Achievement of Northern and Eastern Ontario
- Peterborough Humane Society
- YES Shelter for Youth and Families – Recipient
Employer of the Year
- Comfort Keepers Peterborough
- Gauvreau & Associates Chartered Professional Accountants
- Lett Architects Inc. – Recipient
Micro Business – Less than 5 employees
- 705 Creative
- Birchview Design – Recipient
- Peterborough Carpet Care
- Hanoi House
- The Imperial Tandoor
- La Mesita Restaurante & Catering – Recipient
Peterborough County Farm Family of the Year
- Chris and Angela Klompmaker
Business Student Leadership Prizes
- Ron LaChapelle (Fleming College)
- Shayan Faisal (Trent University)
New Canadian Entrepreneur of the Year
- Gill and Nick Exton (Canoe and Paddle)
4-Under-40 Profiles (in memory of Kathy Windrem)
- Kemi Akapo
- Waleed Dabbah
- Shawn Morey
- Rosalea Terry