Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development will be celebrating local small businesses by hosting the Starter Company Plus Showcase from 5 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, February 28th at Market Hall Performing Arts Centre in downtown Peterborough.
Prior to the pandemic, the event was held annually to showcase participants in Starter Company Plus, a program funded by the Ontario government and administered locally by the Peterborough & the Kawarthas Business Advisory Centre. The program provides aspiring or experienced entrepreneurs in the City and County of Peterborough with five weeks of business training to help them launch a new business or expand an existing one, with selected entrepreneurs receiving a $5,000 microgrant to support their small business.
The February 28th event will celebrate participants and grant winners from the past eight intakes of the Starter Company Plus program that took place virtually from early 2020 to fall 2022. During that time, the Peterborough & the Kawarthas Business Advisory Centre delivered virtual entrepreneurship and small business training to 86 entrepreneurs in the City of Peterborough and Peterborough County.
“The participants have been eagerly anticipating the return of the event which celebrates their success in launching and growing their businesses,” reads a media release from Peterborough & the Kawarthas Economic Development.
To date, the following 24 small businesses have confirmed their participation at the showcase event, with more to come:
- Kawartha Spice Co. – City of Peterborough
- Furever Friend Professional Pet Services – Douro-Dummer
- Discover Trager – City of Peterborough
- Tragically Dipped Donut – City of Peterborough
- Wander Light Alpaca – Lakefield
- Trim Time Inc – City of Peterborough
- Saunders Tax Service c/o Peterborough Disability Tax Services – City of Peterborough
- Turner & Pooch Dog Training – City of Peterborough
- Vision Imports Ltd – City of Peterborough
- The Neighbourhood Vintage – City of Peterborough
- Suzi Homemaker – City of Peterborough
- Leahy’s Farm – Douro-Dummer
- K9 in Motion Wellness Peterborough – City of Peterborough
- Eco Cabins – Apsley, North Kawartha
- 1.5 Composting – City of Peterborough
- Zen Home & Cottage Cleaning Services – Havelock
- ReCreate Space – City of Peterborough
- Chemong City Greens – City of Peterborough
- Worthy Truth Wellness – Asphodel-Norwood
- East City Guitar Co. – City of Peterborough
- The Florest Ptbo – City of Peterborough
- Burkitt’s Gardening & Home Services – Havelock
- Living Local Marketplace – City of Peterborough
- Mental Wealth Counselling – Otonabee South-Monaghan
Participating entrepreneurs will showcase the products and services offered by their small businesses, which range from culinary, wellness, and local goods to tourism experiences and professional services, while also networking with fellow local entrepreneurs.
Everyone is welcome to attend the free showcase to find out more about what the businesses have to offer and to show their support for local entrepreneurs. The event will be catered, so appetizers and light snacks will be available to all attendees and guests. There will also be a bar where soft drinks and alcoholic drinks will be available for purchase.
To find out more and to register, visit investptbo.ca/event/starter-company-plus-showcase-event-feb28/.
Since its launch in 2017, the Starter Company Plus program delivered through Peterborough & the Kawarthas Business Advisory Centre has assisted over 215 local entrepreneurs and more than 174 small businesses, which have created more than 200 jobs in the local economy.