Spring is in the air!
With spring comes being more active and trading in those comforting casseroles for something a little more daring — and generally a little on the lighter side.
In this fast-paced world, we often rely on quick and easy dinners. Sometimes that means convenience food laden with sodium or a BBQ’d burger that’s high in fat and cholesterol.
How about trying a veggie burger made with beans and sweet potato? These high-fibre burgers take only a little time to make (after the sweet potato is roasted) and will store well in your fridge for up to four days.
These yummy burgers have only 143 calories per burger! Serve them with a salad or on a whole grain bun, and your body will be much happier with your decision. The fun thing about these burgers is they are what you make them — so have fun with the spice mixture and the side dishes!
Sweet Potato Burgers with Tahini Dressing
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) plus 1 tsp (5 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups (1 l) cooked cannellini beans or 2 15-oz (425 g) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp (10 ml) favourite spice blend, such as cajun or curry powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) almond flour
- 5 oz (142 g) mixed salad greens
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tahini paste
- Juice and zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a small baking sheet with foil.
- Using a fork, prick deep holes all over the sweet potato. Brush it with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Season generously with salt and black pepper and bake until completely soft (45 to 50 minutes); a knife should easily slide through. Let it cool until you can handle it.
- Peel the sweet potato and place the flesh in a medium bowl. Add the beans and mash the potato and beans together with a potato masher or large fork. Season the mixture with the spice blend, cayenne pepper, and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Stir in the almond flour and shape the mixture into 6-8 patties.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large cast-iron pan and brown the patties until crispy and golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl whisk together all of the dressing ingredients until smooth. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Assemble the burgers: Place the burgers on a bed of greens and top each one with a few slices of avocado. Drizzle a little tahini dressing over each burger and serve immediately. Serves 6.
You can also add your favourite burger toppings, such as caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, or your favourite burger condiments. Refrigerate any leftover sweet potato mixture for up to 4 days.