For the past few months now, Netflix Canada has been dominated by its original series and films and the trend continues in April.
For family viewing, there’s the new docuseries Our Planet (Apr. 5), shot it 4K in more than 50 countries and narrated by Sir David Attenborough.
If you enjoyed the interactive series Black Mirror: Bandersnatch, Netflix is premiering the family-friendly interactive adventure You vs. Wild (Apr. 10), where you make key decisions to help survival instructor Bear Grylls complete his missions in the harshest environments on Earth.
VIDEO: You vs. Wild
There’s also No Good Nick (Apr. 15), where a family finds their lives turned upside down when a young street-smart grifter appears on their doorstep, claiming she’s a distant relative.
Original Netflix films include: Suzzanna: Buried Alive (Apr. 3), about a murdered pregnant woman whose spirit seeks revenge against her increasingly terrified killers; Unicorn Store (Apr. 5), where a twenty-something dreamer receives an invitation that would fulfill her childhood dreams; The Perfect Date (Apr. 12), about a guy who creates an app where anyone can pay him to play the perfect stand-in boyfriend for any occasion; and The Silence (Apr. 12), about a family seeking refuge from terrifying creatures who hunt their prey by sound (A Quiet Place, anyone?).
Original Netflix series premiering in April include: zombie apocalypse thriller Black Summer (Apr. 11); Huge in France (Apr. 12), about a French comedian who moves to LA to be with his son and must learn to live without the celebrity perks he was accustomed to in France; Special (Apr. 12), about a young gay man with mild cerebral palsy who decides to go after the live he wants; and Street Food (Apr. 26), which explores the rich culture of street food around the world.
VIDEO: Black Summer
Returning Netflix series include season three of Star (Apr. 4), Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Part 2 (Apr. 5), season eight of Spirit Riding Free (Apr. 5), “Caligula: The Mad Emperor”, season three of Roman Empire (Apr. 5), season six of Trolls: The Beat Goes On! (Apr. 9), season five of Cuckoo (Apr. 19), and season two of The Protector (Apr. 26).
For Hollywood movies, there’s Annie, Boyz n the Hood, Fifty Shades Darker, the 1998 version of Les Misérables, Resident Evil: Extinction, Snatched, and Spirit (all on Apr. 1), Billy Elliot and Hulk (both on Apr. 3), Colette (Apr. 12), Happy Feet Two (Apr. 15), the 1994 version of Little Women (Apr. 28), and the 2017 blockbuster Wonder Woman (Apr. 29).
VIDEO: New to Netflix Canada in April
Here’s the complete list of everything coming to Netflix Canada in April, along with what’s leaving.
Coming in April (no release date specified)
- Chambers (Netflix original) – A young heart attack survivor becomes consumed by the mystery surrounding the heart that saved her life. However, the closer she gets to uncovering the truth about her donor’s sudden death, the more she starts taking on the characteristics of the deceased — some of which are troublingly sinister.
Monday, April 1st
- ULTRAMAN (Netflix anime) – With aliens once again threatening Earth, young Shinjiro must now don the metallic ultra-suit to become Ultraman — like his father before him.
- Boyz n the Hood
- Fifty Shades Darker
- Les Misérables (1998)
- Memoirs of a Geisha
- Monty Python Best Bits (mostly): Season 1
- Monty Python: The Meaning of Live
- Resident Evil: Extinction
Tuesday, April 2nd
- Kevin Hart: Irresponsible (Netflix original) – Kevin Hart brings his sold-out comedy tour, Kevin Hart: Irresponsible, to a global audience for his first original Netflix standup special. The one-hour special was filmed in front of a sold-out live audience of over 15,000 people at the O2 Arena in London, England. Hart touches upon his friends, family, travel, … and a year filled with Irresponsible behavior.
Wednesday, April 3rd
- Billy Elliot
- Suzzanna: Buried Alive (Netflix film) – After a pregnant woman is murdered, her spirit seeks revenge against her increasingly terrified killers, who are determined to finish her off for good.
Thursday, April 4th
- Pope Francis: A Man of His Word
- Star: Season 3
Friday, April 5th
- Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: Part 2 (Netflix original) – Part 2 finds Sabrina exploring her darker side, curious to learn more about her heritage, while struggling to maintain her friendships in the mortal world. Romantically, Sabrina is caught in an unholy love triangle with between sexy warlock Nicholas Scratch and salt-of-the-Earth mortal Harvey Kinkle. Meanwhile, The Dark Lord, Madame Satan, and Father Blackwood continue to conjure chaos in the Spellman household and the town of Greendale. And they aren’t the only ones trying to raise hell. Everything is in question…relationships, identity, true intentions…when the devil’s work is at hand.
- Our Planet (Netflix original) – Exhilarating visuals and stunning footage of rarely-seen animals mix with somber truths about humanity’s impact on the planet’s habitats and species.
- Persona: Collection (Netflix original) – An eclectic exploration of different personas in a collection of four short films directed by critically acclaimed Korean directors.
- Roman Empire: Caligula: The Mad Emperor (Netflix original) – Once beloved by the troops and people alike, Caligula shocks Rome by ruling with the cruel depravity and debauchery that make him infamous.
- Spirit Riding Free: Season 8 (Netflix original) – Big changes lie ahead for Lucky and her friends in an eventful final season — from new babies at home to a faraway boarding school.
- Tijuana (Netflix original) – When a prominent politician is murdered in cold blood, intrepid local journalists risk their lives to uncover the truth.
- Unicorn Store (Netflix film) – Kit (Brie Larson), a twenty-something dreamer, receives an invitation that would fulfill her childhood dreams.
Monday, April 8th
- The Oath
Tuesday, April 9th
- Trolls: The Beat Goes On!: Season 6 (Netflix original) – The trolls face a day without a holiday, Biggie accidentally starts a fun-tastic new dance craze, and Guy turns a camping trip into a “glamping” trip.
Wednesday, April 10th
- You vs. Wild (Netflix original) – In this interactive adventure series, you’ll make key decisions to help Bear Grylls survive, thrive and complete missions in the harshest environments on Earth.
Thursday, April 11th
- Black Summer (Netflix original) – In the dark, early days of a zombie apocalypse, complete strangers band together to find the strength they need to survive and get back to loved ones.
Friday, April 12th
- A Land Imagined (Netflix film) – A cop in Singapore investigates the disappearance of a Chinese migrant construction worker who spent sleepless nights playing a mysterious video game.
- Huge in France (Netflix original) – After moving to LA to reconnect with his son, comedian Gad Elmaleh must learn to live without the celebrity perks he’s accustomed to in France.
- Mighty Little Bheem (Netflix original) – An innocent toddler’s boundless curiosity — and extraordinary might — lead to mischief and adventure in his small Indian town.
- The Perfect Date (Netflix film) – To save up for college, Brooks Rattigan creates an app where anyone can pay him to play the perfect stand-in boyfriend for any occasion.
- The Silence (Netflix film) – When the world is under attack from terrifying creatures who hunt their human prey by sound, 16-year old Ally Andrews (Kiernan Shipka), who lost her hearing at 13, and her family seek refuge in a remote haven. But they discover a sinister cult who are eager to exploit Ally’s heightened senses. The Silence is directed by John R. Leonetti (Annabelle) and stars Stanley Tucci, Kiernan Shipka, Miranda Otto, John Corbett, Kate Trotter and Kyle Breitkopf.
- Special (Netflix original) – A young gay man with cerebral palsy branches out from his insular existence in hopes of finally going after the life he wants.
- What They Had
- Who Would You Take to a Deserted Island? (Netflix film) – On their last night together, four longtime flatmates’ lives are suddenly upended when a secret is revealed during the course of an evening celebration.
Monday, April 15th
- Happy Feet Two
- Luis Miguel – The Series: Season 1
- No Good Nick (Netflix original) – A family finds their lives turned upside down when a young, street-smart grifter appears on their doorstep, claiming she’s a distant relative.
Tuesday, April 16th
- Super Monsters Furever Friends (Netflix original) – On the first night of spring, the Super Monsters and their families gather for food, fun and games in the park — and meet their adorable monster pets!
Thursday, April 18th
- My First First Love (Netflix original) – Due to various personal reasons, a group of Yun Tae-o’s friends move into his house, where they experience love, friendship, and everything in between.
Friday, April 19th
- A Fortunate Man (Netflix film) – A gifted engineer flees his austere roots to pursue wealth and success among Copenhagen’s elite, but the pride propelling him threatens to be his ruin.
- Brené Brown: The Call to Courage (Netflix original) – Best-selling author Brené Brown discusses what it takes to choose courage over comfort in a culture defined by scarcity, fear and uncertainty.
- Cuckoo: Season 5 (Netflix original) – Ken thinks he’s hit the big time when he discovers a wealthy half sister he never knew he had, but her fortunes and his hopes are soon reversed.
- Music Teacher (Netflix film) – Burned by his past, an emotionally troubled, small-town music teacher risks everything he has to reconnect with a now-famous former student.
- Rilakkuma and Kaoru (Netflix anime) – Karoru leads a mundane life, but she gets to go home and find comfort in Rilakkuma, her endearingly lazy roommate who happens to be a fuzzy toy bear.
- Samantha!: Season 2 (Netflix original) – The series follows the story of a former child star from the 80s, Samantha! (Emanuelle Araújo) who desperately clings to the fringes of celebrity. Together with her husband Wound (Douglas Silva) and their children Cindy (Sabrina Nonato), and Brandon (Cauã Gonçalves), she delights with hare-brained schemes to launch herself back into the spotlight.
- Someone Great (Netflix film) – Aspiring music journalist Jenny (Gina Rodriguez) has just landed her dream job at an iconic magazine and is about to move to San Francisco. Rather than do long distance, her boyfriend of nine years (Lakeith Stanfield) decides to call it quits. To nurse her broken heart, Jenny gathers up her two best friends Erin (DeWanda Wise) and Blair (Brittany Snow) for one outrageous last adventure in New York City. From writer/director Jennifer Kaytin Robinson (creator of MTV’s Sweet/Vicious).
Saturday, April 20th
- Grass is Greener (Netflix original) – It lit up jazz and hip-hop — and ignited a war on drugs steeped in racial injustice. Experts explore America’s complicated relationship with weed.
- Weed the People
Monday, April 22nd
- Pinky Malinky: Part 2 (Netflix original) – Pinky Malinky is on a roll! Catch up on this joyful hot dog boy’s continuing adventures as he spreads fun and positivity with best friends Babs and JJ.
- Selection Day (Netflix original, new episodes) – Manjunath Kumar, fourteen, knows he is good at cricket — if not as good as his elder brother Radha. He knows that he fears and resents his domineering and cricket-obsessed father, admires his brilliantly talented sibling and is fascinated by the world of CSI and by curious and interesting scientific facts. But there are many things about himself and about the world that he doesn’t know. When Manju begins to get to know Radha’s great rival, a boy as privileged and confident as Manju is not, everything in Manju’s world begins to change and he is faced with decisions that will change both his sense of self and of the world around him.
Tuesday, April 23rd
- I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson (Netflix original) – In this new sketch show, Tim Robinson and guests spend each segment driving someone to the point of needing — or desperately wanting — to leave.
Wednesday, April 24th
- Bonding (Netflix original) – A New York City grad student moonlighting as a dominatrix enlists her gay BFF from high school to be her assistant.
Friday, April 26th
- The Protector: Season 2 (Netflix original) – Facing formidable odds against the resurgent Immortals, Hakan and the Loyal Ones must forestall sinister plans to destroy the city — and all humans.
- ReMastered: Devil at the Crossroads (Netflix original) – Robert Johnson was one of the most influential blues guitarists ever. Even before his early death, fans wondered if he’d made a pact with the Devil.
- She-Ra and the Princesses of Power: Season 2 (Netflix original) – Adora and the Princess Alliance train to get stronger, but Catra and the Horde are on the move. As Hordak pushes for victory, She-Ra faces a new test.
- Street Food (Netflix original) – From the creators of Chef’s Table, Street Food takes viewers to some of the world’s most vibrant cities to explore the rich culture of street food all over the globe. The first season explores nine countries in Asia, from the hawker stalls of Singapore to the food carts of India, the stories of perseverance and culture bring life to the cuisine of each city.
- Yankee (Netflix original) – A young man from Texas crosses the border into Mexico and becomes an infamous drug lord.
Sunday, April 28th
- Little Women (1994)
Monday, April 29th
- Wonder Woman
Tuesday, April 30th
- Anthony Jeselnik: Fire in the Maternity Ward (Netflix original) – Everyone knows there is no topic Anthony Jeselnik can’t conquer, and he doesn’t disappoint in his second Netflix original comedy special Anthony Jeselnik: Fire in the Maternity Ward. Following his 2015 special Thoughts and Prayers, the comedian’s critical and biting style weaves through societal taboos without hesitation.
- Baki: Part 2 (Netflix anime) – A convict himself, bounty hunter Biscuit Oliva is dispatched to Tokyo to apprehend the escaped inmates and thwart them from unleashing further chaos.
- Ingress: The Animation (Netflix anime) – After scientists discover a mysterious substance that can influence human minds, two factions wage an all-out battle to control its awesome power.
Leaving Netflix Canada in April
Monday, April 1st
- Downton Abbey: Series 1-6
- The Gift
Wednesday, April 3rd
- Dawn of the Dead
Sunday, April 7th
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Seasons 1-5
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions
Sunday, April 21st
- Captain Phillips
Wednesday, April 24th
- Big Eyes
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Monday, April 29th
- Ocean’s Eleven
All titles and dates are subject to change.