Peterborough realtor Linz Hunt treks across the Sahara Desert to raise $17,820 for YWCA Crossroads Shelter

Royal LePage Shelter Foundation's 2019 Sahara Desert Challenge for Shelter raised $1.2 million for women's shelters and domestic violence programs

Linz Hunt of Royal LePage Frank Real Estate in Peterborough in the Sahara Desert in November 2019, when she trekked 100 kilometres along with 120 Royal LePage professionals to raise funds for women's shelters and and domestic violence prevention and education programs across Canada. Hunt raised $17,820 in support of YWCA Crossroads Shelter. (Supplied photo)
Linz Hunt of Royal LePage Frank Real Estate in Peterborough in the Sahara Desert in November 2019, when she trekked 100 kilometres along with 120 Royal LePage professionals to raise funds for women's shelters and and domestic violence prevention and education programs across Canada. Hunt raised $17,820 in support of YWCA Crossroads Shelter. (Supplied photo)

Linz Hunt of Royal LePage Frank Real Estate in Peterborough has donated $17,820 to YWCA Peterborough Haliburton’s Crossroads Shelter in support of women and children fleeing abuse.

Hunt raised the funds by participating in Royal LePage Shelter Foundation’s 2019 Sahara Desert Challenge for Shelter, where a group of 120 Royal LePage professionals journeyed to Morocco in November to trek 100 kilometres across the Sahara Desert over five straight days.

“As a realtor, my job is to sell people homes and I can’t imagine associating a home with fear and danger,” Hunt says. “I chose to contribute more intentionally to the YWCA by taking part in the Sahara trek because of the people I know and love who have experienced gender-based violence.”

Advertisement - story continues below

 

 

Each member of the trek had to raise a minimum of $5,000 to be eligible to participate.

Hunt raised a total $22,275 from her participation in the event, and chose to donate 80 per cent to YWCA’s Crossroads Shelter and the other 20 per cent to the Royal LePage Shelter Foundation.

In total, the event raised almost $1.2 million for women’s shelters and domestic violence prevention and education programs across Canada.

Peterborough realtor Linz Hunt met with representatives of YWCA Peterborough Haliburton on March 4, 2020 to present a cheque for $17,820 in support of YWCA Crossroads Shelter. The funds were raised as part of Royal LePage Shelter Foundation's 2019 Sahara Desert Challenge for Shelter. (Supplied photo)
Peterborough realtor Linz Hunt met with representatives of YWCA Peterborough Haliburton on March 4, 2020 to present a cheque for $17,820 in support of YWCA Crossroads Shelter. The funds were raised as part of Royal LePage Shelter Foundation’s 2019 Sahara Desert Challenge for Shelter. (Supplied photo)

“Every day throughout the trek, we read letters from women and children who had escaped their abusers thanks to the shelters we were supporting,” Hunt says.

“These letters were heartbreaking but they reaffirmed that our journey was nothing in comparison to what these families have gone through. I truly had the experience of a lifetime supporting such an important cause.”

Comments