Working smoke detectors saved a Peterborough resident and their home from significant damage from a New Year’s Eve fire.
On Saturday night (December 31), Peterborough Fire Services responded to a 911 call by an occupant who woke up to their smoke detectors in alarm at their Mark Street home in Peterborough’s East City.
Peterborough Fire Services responded with 15 firefighters on three pumpers, one aerial ladder truck, and a command vehicle.
After entering the smoke-filled home, firefighters found the fire in early stages up in the attic and were able to extinguish it quickly and with minimal damage.
According to a media release from Peterborough Fire Services, the origin of the fire appeared to be related to a bathroom fan.
Estimated damage from the fire is $10,000.