After a two-year absence because of the pandemic, Santa is returning to downtown Peterborough on Saturday (December 3) to take part in the 47th annual Kinsmen Santa Claus Parade.
The City of Peterborough has released information about road closures along the parade route, parking, transit detours, and more related to the parade, which begins at 4:45 p.m.
With increased vehicular and pedestrian traffic expected in the late afternoon, the city is also reminding everyone to leave extra time and use caution while travelling in the downtown area on Saturday.
To allow for both staging and the parade procession, the following road closures will be in place starting at 4 p.m.:
- Antrim Street — Aylmer Street to Water Street
- Edinburgh Street — Aylmer Street to Water Street
- Dublin Street — Aylmer Street to Water Street
- London Street — Aylmer Street to Water Street
- McDonnel Street — Aylmer Street to Water Street
- Murray Street — Aylmer Street to Water Street
- George Street — Parkhill Road to Brock Street
- Prince Street — George Street to Park Street
- Aylmer Street — Lansdowne Street to Romaine Street
The parade will travel south on George Street starting at McDonnel Street and passing in front of City Hall at 4:45 p.m., ending and dispersing at Prince Street. A rolling road closure, supervised by Peterborough Police Services, will be in place along George Street during the parade.
Event volunteers will be available to remove barricades to allow for local access for residents and emergency vehicles along side streets. All road closures are expected to be over by 7:30 p.m.
Parking during the parade
No on-street parking is permitted on George Street between Brock Street and Prince Street starting at 3 p.m. on Saturday, December 3. Parking staff will be on-site to help ensure cars are relocated. Any cars still parked on George Street at 3 p.m. will be towed to a nearby lot.
People are encouraged to park in the King Street Parkade at 202 King St., the Simcoe Street parking garage at 190 Simcoe St. or municipal surface lots at the following locations:
- Chambers Lot at 184 Hunter St.
- Reid Lot at 350 Reid St.
- Surface lot at 365 Aylmer St.
- Rehill Lot at 210 Wolfe St.
- Del Crary Lot at 100 George St. N.
- Downie Lot at 336 Downie St.
Parking in municipal lots and parking garages is free on weekends. Any parking fees that are voluntarily paid during the month of December will be donated to Kawartha Food Share.
Residents are reminded to follow all on-street parking regulations that may be in place in the downtown area, including calendar parking where applicable. Please ensure fire hydrants and driveways are not blocked.
Starting at 4 p.m., Peterborough Transit will have the following route detours in place for Route 2 Chemong, Route 4 Weller, Route 6 Sherbrooke, Community Bus 22 – Blue and Community Bus 23 – Red. For more details, or call Transit Customer Service at 705-745-0525.
- Route 2 Chemong – Southbound from Terminal: Simcoe to Aylmer Street to Romaine Street to Park Street to Lansdowne Street to Lock Street. Northbound from Lansdowne at Borden: Regular route to Lansdowne Street to Park Street to Romaine Street to Aylmer Street to Simcoe Street
- Route 4 Weller – During the rolling road closure #4 westbound will follow regular route to terminal only. The eastbound bus will travel to the bus stop at Simcoe at Water streets. Customers will be directed to catch the bus at the Simcoe and Water bus stop.
- Route 6 Sherbrooke – Southbound from Trent (4 to 7:30 p.m.): regular route to Parkhill Road, right on Parkhill to Reid Street, left on Reid Street, left on Simcoe Street. Northbound from Terminal (during rolling road closure): Simcoe to Aylmer Street, Aylmer to McDonnel Street, left on McDonnel to Reid Street, right onto Parkhill Road where regular route resumes.
- Community Bus 22 – Blue – Southbound on George Street to Parkhill Road, right on Parkhill to Reid Street, left from Reid to McDonnel Street, travels right on Aylmer Street and continues on Aylmer Street to Charlotte Street where regular route resumes.
- Community Bus 23 – Red – Until the rolling road closure begins: Eastbound on McDonnel Street to Aylmer Street, right on Aylmer to Simcoe Street and continues on regular route. During the rolling road closure Eastbound on McDonnel Street to Aylmer Street, right on Aylmer to Romaine Street to Park Street, where regular route resumes.
Peterborough Petes game at the Peterborough Memorial Centre
There is a Peterborough Petes game at the Peterborough Memorial Centre on Saturday evening starting at 7:05 p.m.
With the Santa Claus parade affecting traffic in the area, people attending the game are encouraged to plan for extra travel time when getting to the game. Paid parking at the Memorial Centre opens at 4 p.m. and the arena doors open at 6 p.m.