Over the years, the Women’s Business Network of Peterborough has had many successful and impactful women among its members, from entrepreneurs and small business owners to professionals, managers, and executives from large organizations.
So it’s no surprise that many WBN members have had both their business achievements and community contributions publicly recognized and honoured.
With the following list, we want to acknowledge and celebrate the business and other achievements of some past and current members of WBN (note: this list is not meant to be exhaustive).
Women in Business Award Winners
- 2019 – Monika Carmichael, Trent Valley Honda
- 2018 – No award*
- 2017 – No award*
- 2016 – Gwyneth James, Cody & James Chartered Professional Accountants
- 2015 – Amy Simpson, MicroAge
- 2014 – Kerri Davies, Canadian Mental Health Association HKPR
- 2013 – Kyla Gutsche, Cosmetic Transformations
- 2012 – Sally Harding, Nightingale Nursing
- 2011 – Sheridan Graham, The County of Peterborough
- 2010 – Jean Grant, The Toy Shop
- 2009 – Kathy Windrem, BDO Canada
- 2008 – Mary LaRocque, Marlin Travel
- 2007 – Tina Johnston, Fandango Spa
- 2006 – Kim Paget, Paget Dental
- 2005 – Jeannine Taylor, kawarthaNOW
- 2004 – Helen Hamilton, Costume King
- 2003 – Gail Courneyea, Angels of Flight
*Prior to 2019, the Women in Business Award was called the Business Woman of the Year Award and was organized by the Peterborough Examiner, which did not present the award in 2017 or 2018. WBN now organizes and presents the Women in Business Award.
Judy Heffernan Award Winners
- 2019 – Kim Appleton
- 2018 – No award*
- 2017 – No award*
- 2016 – Louise Racine
- 2015 – Sofie Andreou
*Prior to 2019, the Judy Heffernan Award was called the Judy Heffernan Memorial Award and was organized by the Peterborough Examiner, which did not present the award in 2017 or 2018. WBN now organizes and presents the Judy Heffernan Award.
Peterborough-Kawartha Women’s Leadership Awards
The Peterborough-Kawartha Women’s Leadership Awards were established in 2018 by Peterborough-Kawartha MP and Minister for Women and Gender Equality Women Maryam Monsef to recognize women’s leadership in the community, whether through volunteering, public service, professional achievements, advocacy, or being a remarkable friend or family member. A total of 55 women were recognized in 2019, including three WBN members.
- 2018 – Jeannine Taylor (kawarthaNOW.com), Sarah Susnar (Play Cafe Peterborough), Sofie Andreou (Sofie Andreou & Associates)
Junior Achievement Business Hall of Fame
- 2019 – Janet McLeod, East City Flower Shop
- 2018 – Monika Carmichael, Trent Valley Honda
Civic Awards – City of Peterborough
- 2015 – Susan Dunkley Porter – Cultural Betterment
- 2001 – Kerri Davies – Cultural Betterment
- 2000 – Jeannine Taylor – Community Betterment
Peterborough County Agricultural Wall of Fame
- 2017 – Cora Whittington
Premier’s Award Nominees – Nominations by Fleming College
- 2012 – Kim Appleton
- 2009 – Kerri Davies, Fleming College Alumnus of Distinction
- 2003 – Jeannine Taylor
- 2018 – Susan Sharp – Rotarian of the Year, Rotary Club of Peterborough
- 2017 – Brenda Ibey – Hazel Wilson Award, Ontario Horticultural Association (District 4)
- 2017 – Anne Arnold – Canadian Blood Services Recognition (75 blood donations)
- 2005 – Susan Dunkley Porter – Peterborough Service Community Award, Scouts Canada
Professional Awards and Designations
- 2018 – Grace Reynolds, Reynolds Mortgages – Best New Agent, Mortgage Awards of Excellence
Bear’s Lair Entrepreneurial Competition
- 2018 – Alexandra Campbell, Kavtek Software Corporation
- 2017 – Kellie Coon, Ship Shape Service
Win This Space Entrepreneurial Competition
- 2018 – Nadine Michael, Willow Bark
- 2017 – Tina Bromley, Tiny Greens Plant Cafe
WBN Member of the Year Award
The WBN Member of the Year Award was created in 1982 by long-time WBN member and Past President Maureen Tavener, who was inspired by a similar award given out by the former Canadian Advertising and Sales Association. The Member of the Year Award honours a woman who best embodies the spirit of the WBN membership.
Each April, WBN members have the opportunity to vote online by secret ballot to select a deserving recipient. Every member, except the current year’s President, is eligible for the award. The award is then presented at the organization’s May general meeting.
- 2018-19 – Arlene Blunck, All Office Machines
- 2017-18 – Tracey Ormond, That’s a Wrap! Catering
- 2016-17 – Louise Racine, Thirteen Moons Wellness
- 2015-16 – Louise Racine, Thirteen Moons Wellness
- 2014-15 – Denise Travers, SunLife
- 2013-14 – Cheri Anderson, The Crate Escape
A he full list of the other 33 past recipients of the WBN Member of the Year Award is available on the Women’s Business Network of Peterborough’s website.
For more information about the Women’s Business Network of Peterborough, visit www.womensbusinessnetwork.net.